We’ve all been there – rushing home after work, school, or working out, with no time to prep for dinner. Do you order take-out? Drive through somewhere? Or try to throw something together at home? This easy weeknight red lentil soup is perfect a quick meal at home. It’s ready in 30 minutes, vegan, and packed with nutrients.
The first time I tried red lentils was at the Saturday Morning Market in St. Pete. I was 5 months pregnant, and my husband wanted a plate from the Ethiopian food truck. I had never eaten Ethiopian food, but I’m always eager to try new things and it smelled SO good. We were served a plate with Ethopian red lentils, yellow split peas, brown rice, and injera (flat bread).
The flavors were incredible. It was perfectly filling, but left me wanting more. When we returned home the following week, I was determined to remake them, somehow, some way. Luckily, we found this recipe and have made it over a dozen times since. It’s been especially great with potatoes for baby-led weaning!
Eating red lentils at the market that day inspired me to cook with them more often, especially since starting our plant-based lifestyle. Red lentils are packed full of protein, iron, folate, manganese, and B vitamins. I wanted to cook with the every week.
That’s when I decided to make a quick soup with them. I chopped the produce we had in our refrigerator, threw in some frozen spinach, water, and veggie stock, and voila! 30 minutes later we had a hearty, delicious dinner.
Now, this is a go-to dinner on nights when we get home late or don’t have the energy to create something new. It pairs well with roasted vegetables, a fluffy sourdough loaf, or baked potato.
I hope you find it as quick and easy as our family does. Enjoy!
Easy Weeknight Red Lentil Soup
- 1.5 cups red lentils purchase in bulk if available to you; if not, Bob's Red Mill is my favorite brand
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable broth use low-sodium if you prefer less sodium
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups chopped spinach You can also use 5oz of frozen spinach (1/2 a package of frozen spainch).
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop carrot, onion, and spinach.
- Heat oil over medium heat. In a large pot, sautee garlic, carrot, and onion for 7-8 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add cumin, coriander, curry powder, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Add red lentils, water, and veggie stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Let cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped or frozen spinach, cover, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite bread, sandwich, or baked potato, and enjoy!