This page contains affiliate links to products I love. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
My Mamaw made the best chocolate chip cookies – it was her specialty. And she knew I loved them because she made them for me every time I visited. She would even set aside a few tablespoons of cookie dough (every child’s dream..!)
Once she got older and was unable to make her chocolate chip cookies, I took over making them. She sat in her chair at the bar in the kitchen and watched in silence with a smirk on her face. She never corrected my skills, just giggled to herself if I did something differently than she would.
I’ll admit, my cookies were never as good as hers – I don’t think they ever will be. But now that she is gone, I feel that it’s my duty to continue her tradition of making them, especially at Christmas time.
Now, Mamaw was far from vegan. She loved homemade biscuits with sausage gravy, and her version of chocolate chip cookies used lard, shortening, or butter. I’m not sure how she would feel about my adapted version, but I put as much love into them as she used to.
The dough will look a bit speckled because of the flax meal – don’t be alarmed. The finished cookies might also appear speckled.
If you have a flax sensitivity, or don’t have flax, use 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, instead.
Using a hand mixer to mix the dry ingredients into the wet is imperative for the perfect consistency. Stir in chocolate chips, or my favorite, chocolate chunks, with a spoon.
Don’t let the dough sit for too long – the flax meal might make them stiff.
These are drop cookies. Scoop a bit of dough onto a spoon, and plop them onto the cookie sheet. This recipe makes 5 dozen cookies.
Remove from cookie sheet immediately to prevent bottoms from browning. Let cool and eat away!
Did you enjoy them? Tell me in the comments below.
Mamaw’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Earth Balance any vegan margarine will do
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbsp flax meal and 5 tbsp water; use 1/2c of unsweetened applesauce if you don't have flax or have a sensiitivity to it
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Make flax egg and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sift together all purpose flour, salt, and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream Earth Balance with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Add flax eggs, brown sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla to Earth Balance and cream until smooth.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients while using hand mixer. This step is important! Don't mix with a spoon – a hand mixer creates the perfect consistency for your cookies.
- Once dough is mixed, stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookies onto cookie sheet with a spoon. This recipe makes approximately 5 dozen cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cookies immediately from cookie sheet to prevent bottoms from browning,
- Let cool and serve.