It is apple season here in Western North Carolina and my family took advantage of it by going apple picking! We love visiting the local orchards this time of year. There are dozens of types of apples, of course, none that you would ever find in the grocery store. They offer apple donuts, apple cider, apple slushies – apple everything – except, vegan apple treats.
When we got home from apple picking, I was seriously craving something sweet. We indulged on some cider, but the smell of baked cinnamon and nutmeg kept my mouth watering the entire time we were there. I originally planned on making applesauce for the baby with our peck of apples, but now I was considering baking with it. If we ran out, I could always make more.
Applesauce works really well in baking to keep your baked goods moist, and I was going to have a lot of it. Use 1/4 cup of applesauce per egg called for in a recipe. Make sure to use unsweetened applesauce as to not overpower the apple flavor of the cake.
For this recipe, I use our homemade applesauce from apple-picking, which I don’t sweeten. You could use sweetened, or unsweetened applesauce, but the added sugar plus natural sweetener from the apples makes this cake sweet enough.
I also use pastry flour for the vegan applesauce bundt cake because I like an airy, less dense cake. If you’re not able to find pastry flour, regular is okay, but you will want to add a bit more of each, white and whole wheat flours.
Mix applesauce and oil until well combined. I use coconut oil for this recipe, but canola oil, or any neutral tasting oil is okay.
Add all other wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
Whisk together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Then, slowly stir in dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Your batter will be moist and airy.
Pour batter into lightly-greased bundt pan. Bake on 325 for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Your cake should rise quite a bit! Allow cake to cool before trying to remove it from the bundt pan.
This cake is delicious without a glaze, but my husband has an extra sweet tooth. He insists on adding a glaze.
Wait until your cake is cooled completely before adding the glaze, otherwise it will soak into the cake.
Glaze your cake, share with your friends, and enjoy!
Vegan Applesauce Bundt Cake
For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup neutral tasting oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cup white pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
For the glaze (optional)
- 3 tbsp full-fat coconut milk Oat milk or almond milk works well, too. That fattier, the better.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract optional
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lightly grease your bundt pan with Earthbalance or oil.
- Mix applesauce and oil in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir in light brown sugar, cane sugar, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, adding a little at a time until just combined.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake at 325 for 45 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven, and let cool before attempting to remove it from pan.
- Add glaze (optional) once cooled.
For the glaze:
- Add coconut milk to a bowl.
- Slowly whisk in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until glaze reaches desired thickness.
- Whisk in vanilla, if using.
- Once cake is cooled, drizzle glaze over cake.