This roasted veggie pasta is perfect the whole family – baby included! It’s packed full of vegetables and is easily adaptable to your taste. You can chop the vegetables in advance to make for a quick weeknight dinner.
Since starting BLW, our family has tried making every meal baby-friendly without sacrificing flavor. We’ve seasoned her food since she was 6 months old, and now prefers her food that way.
And she loves pasta. There are so many options – spaghetti, rotini, macaroni, gnocchi, and our favorite – fusilli. Maybe it’s the way the little swirls feel in your mouth, or maybe because it’s easy for baby to bite into pieces.
This roasted veggie pasta can be made with any kind of pasta – just be sure to chop the vegetables according to the size of your noodle for consistency.
Chop vegetables into cubes or bite-sized pieces. In this recipe, we use red bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini, and red onion. You could easily use asparagus, squash, eggplant, cauliflower, etc. instead. If using broccoli or cauliflower, parboil for 5 minutes and then roast for baby. The idea is to get a good combination of taste, nutrients, and texture.
It’s perfectly fine to introduce your baby to flavor and spices starting at a very early age. Start slowly for spicy seasonings. She may surprise you by how quickly her taste changes and matures.
Roast veggies on 450 for approximately 20 minutes, or to desired tenderness. If mom and dad are eating, too, it may need less roasting time.
Remove red bell pepper skin by gently pulling it off. This makes it easier for baby to chew. Vegetables should easily squish between your pointer finger and thumb or tongue and roof of your mouth. You may need to cut vegetables into smaller pieces after roasting.
We love the buttery taste of Earthbalance. Adding extra olive oil prevents the pasta and vegetables from being too dry. You can always use less oil and more Earthbalance, or vice versa. You could also use your favorite dressing instead if you want a slightly healthier, less fatty option.
Baby is served a little less than a cup of roasted veggie pasta. She may eat only the vegetables or only the pasta – it’s okay. Don’t forget her utensil!
This dish is great for mom and dad, too.
Did the whole family enjoy it? Tell me about it in the comments below.
Roasted Veggie Pasta
- 1 lb fusilli pasta use quinoa, lentil, or rice pasta for more protein
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1/2 red onion, cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Earthbalance
- 2 tbsp olive oil +1 tsp for roasting
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt omit if serving to baby under 1
- red pepper to taste (optional)
- Chop red pepper, onion, broccoli, and zucchini.
- Parboil broccoli for 5 minutes if adding to baby's pasta.
- Line pan with all vegetables. Drizzle 1 tsp olive oil over vegetables. Add salt (omit if serving to a baby under 1).
- Roast vegetables at 425 for 20 minutes
- While vegetables roast, bring water to boil for fusilli pasta. I used Trader Joe's brown rice and quinoa fusilli for extra protein, but any fusilli will work.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to the package (approximately 7-8min)
- When pasta is done, strain and toss back into pot.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp to pasta, minced garlic, and seasonings to pasta.
- Stir and cover until Earthbalance is melted.
- Once veggies are to desired softness, add to pasta and stir. For younger babies, peel off skin of bell pepper and quarter cubed pieces. For baby, vegetables should pass the finger test (vegetables should easily squish between your fingers). Add additional seasonings to desire taste and serve.